Coconut is one of the major plantation crops in Sri Lanka which accounts for approximately 12% of all agricultural productions. Sri Lanka is one of the leading countries in coconut production. It has a significant share in the world coconut market.
The main ingredient of this cake is grated coconut.
Pol Cake / Coconut cake is a traditional dessert recipe which is among the top 10 food list in Sri Lanka. Unlike other cakes, we don’t use butter or eggs for this cake recipe.
This is a rich dark and a moist cake made with freshly grated coconut. This authentic traditional cake is flavoured with an amazing blend of Sri Lanka’s finest spices and coconut.
Primary Ingredients –
- 3 Nos of grated coconut
- 750g of brown sugar
- 50g of Rulan/Semolina
- 100g of Dates
- 1 tsp of grated Ginger
- 1 tsp of Lime Zest
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
- 8 crushed cardamom pods
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup of Milk
- ½ of water
- 300g of Flour
Optional Ingredients –
- 1 cup or Cashew
- 1 cup of Puhul Dosi/Winter Melon Candy
- Roast the semolina in a medium-high flame until it’s golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large pan caramelize the sugar and add water slowly until you have a thicker mixture.
- To that, add the grated coconut and mix it well until the coconut is well soaked with the sugar caramel.
- Into that, add all the dry ingredients including spices, Flour, baking powder, roasted semolina, dates etc.
- Finally, add Milk and vanilla essence.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease it well. Pour the mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake in a moderate heat for about 45-60 mins
- Use some sticky kind of dates and remove the seeds. Cut the dates into small pieces